Sunday, February 6th, 2011
I decided it would be fun to share the current itunes playlist I listen to while running. Fitness is a huge part of my life. It has to be — considering the sheer amount of toxins I come in contact with while oil painting. The other day I was practicing bikram yoga after a particularly long day at the art studio and I could literally smell solvents seeping out of my pores. For those of you not familiar with Bikram, it is a series of 26 postures (asanas) that are performed over the course of 90 minutes in a room heated to about 105 degrees. You wear next to nothing and sweat the equivalent of a liter of water. And the poses are intense, requiring a great deal of strength and flexibility. I’ve been practicing Bikram for a year now and it has become an important part of my life, but I will write about my love of this yoga practice another time. It deserves its own entry :)
Other ways I stay fit are:
1. By not owning a car and biking everywhere (although it has been a brutal winter in New York this year so my bike has been collecting dust).
2. Moderate weight training — I used to swear by weight training till I discovered Bikram, which completely tones your muscles and lengthening them simultaneously. Weight training gives you quick bulk, but you must stretch properly after to avoid tight muscles.
3. Painting! Building canvases, carrying heavy supplies, and generally just being on my feet all day. The only time I’m sitting is if I’m blogging or emailing.
4. Running. I love running so much. My blood isn’t thick enough to run outdoors in the dead of winter so I’ve been confined to the treadmill, which just doesn’t compare to Central Park. I run a lot and I run pretty fast. Yesterday I ran 9 miles, mostly at level 6.0 mph on the treadmill with a few sprinting intervals up to 10.0 mph.
This particular selection is faster paced but cools down a bit at the end. This list has been tweeked over the course of years and reveals my eclectic musical taste which is one part Art School, one part Miami club-scene, and one part top chart hits. It should suffice for at least a five mile run!
1. Modern Love, David Bowie
2. F**k You, Cee Lo Green
3. Only Girl (In the World), Rihanna
4. Bad Romance, Lady Gaga
5. I’m In Love, Alex Gaudino
6. Meet Me Halfway, Black Eyed Peas
7. Don’t Change, INXS
8. Firework, Katy Perry
9. OMG, Usher
10. Break The Ice, Britney Spears ft. Fabolous
11. Valerie, Mark Ronson ft. Amy Winehouse
12. Walking on Sunshine, Katrina and the Waves
13. Call On Me, Eric Pryz
14. Raise Your Glass, Pink
15. Sex on Fire, Kings of Leon
16. Love At First Sight, Kylie Minogue
17. SOS, Rihanna
18. Womanizer, Britney Spears
19. If We Ever Meet Again, Timbaland ft. Katy Perry
20. I Like It, Enrique Iglesias
21. God Knows, Mando Diao
22. The Hand That Feeds, Nine Inch Nails
23. Little Bird, Annie Lenox
24. Empire State of Mind, Jay-Z ft. Alicia Keys
Category My Thoughts | Tags: Tags: art, Black Eyed Peas, Britney Spears, cardio, Cee Lo Green, fitness, ipod, itunes, jaclyn, jaclyn santos, Katy Perry, Lady Gaga, painting, playlist, Rihanna, run, running, Running Mix, Usher, Work of Art: The Next Great Artist,